Transfer a title

If you are buying a vehicle from a friend, family member or private party, or you received it as a gift, you must transfer ownership of the vehicle into your name within 15 days.

You will need the following:

  • Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (title)
  • The seller must release ownership by signing in the appropriate place on the title.
  • Everyone listed on the title must sign it.
  • Your unexpired Washington State driver license. 
  • Unless they are exempt from getting a Washington State driver license under RCW 46.20.025), the new owners must present their unexpired Washington State driver license to the clerk in our office.
  • Bill of sale
  • You AND the seller must provide information about the sale on a Vehicle 
  • Bill of Sale. Be sure to include the sale price as it is used to calculate the use tax you must pay.
  • Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest
  • If the title is lost, the seller must complete an Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest and sign it in front of a notary public, county auditor, or licensing agent. Everyone listed on the vehicle record must sign the affidavit.
  • Emissions testing report
  • The vehicle must meet California emission standards to be registered, leased, rented, licensed or sold for use in Washington State. See Clean Car emission requirements for more information. Emissions testing is required in the urban areas of Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish or Spokane Counties.
  • Vehicle Title Application
  • In order for us to transfer a title we will need a notarized Vehicle Certificate of Ownership Application. All registered owners must sign the application.
  • Odometer Disclosure Statement 
  • If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, both you and the seller must state the mileage and sign, either on the title itself or on an Odometer Disclosure Statement. We have the necessary form in our office. The Odometer Disclosure Statement form is printed on tamperproof paper and cannot be downloaded from our site, emailed to you or faxed. Feel free to contact us to have it mailed to you.

Replace a Title

Complete an Affidavit of Loss form. All registered owners must sign the form, and the signatures must be notarized.

If you're still making payments on the vehicle or boat, the bank (or other lien holder listed on the title) must apply for the duplicate title.


Come to our Location

Bring all of the documents listed above that apply to you and cash or a check for the fee to Rainier Vehicle and Vessel Licensing, LLC.  You will receive your title in 8–10 weeks.


We will be able to determine your fees for ownership transfer once you arrive at our location.​​​

Please contact Rainier Vehicle & Vessel Licensing, LLC at your convenience for any inquiries. 
​Questions? Call Us Today
General Public: (206) 723-9370
General Public Fax: (206) 722-3728
Dealer/Fleet Services: (206) 403-1327
Dealer/Fleet Services Fax: (206) 723-6056

Washington State Titles

Lost your WA State vehicle or vessel title and need a replacement? Do you need to transfer a WA State car title after you bought it from a friend or got it as a gift? At Rainier Vehicle and Vessel Licensing, LLC we are here to help!